If you missed our last blog post highlighting the Victorian government’s plans to offer rebates on solar installations, not to worry, we’ve got more to say about it!
Since the announcement from Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews, the media has been all over this story. The Solar Homes project has largely been met with positive comments and suggestions for Victorians to jump on solar now! We certainly think you should take advantage of the offer if you’re elligible, and so does Ronald Brakels from SolarQuotes.
In a recent SolarQuotes blog post Brakels says,
“If you are Victorian, live in your own home that is valued at $3 million dollars or less and your household income is $180,000 a year or less then my recommendation is to get solar now. And if you are too rich to qualify for the rebate, get solar power anyway. You can afford it.”
Please note, SolarQuotes has posted an update to this post here.
Brakels also points out some small obstacles that you should keep in mind if you’re in Victoria and considering solar. The process isn’t likely to be 100% hassle-free.
Here are some points/warnings from Brakels to help set your expectations:
- With the announcement of this project you should expect a huge rush for solar panels in the state. Installers will be booked out almost every day and delays will be inevitable.
- Solar businesses pushing cheap solar panels will take advantage of this scheme to get more bookings and your money. Don’t go for second best even if everyone is booked out. Make sure you’re getting the best quality product and service that you can, even if it means you have to wait a while.
- If you’re hoping to upgrade your current solar system with the rebate, think again! As far as we know, homes with solar already installed aren’t eligible.
- You’ll need a recent council rates notice for your home to get the rebate. This tends to rule out anyone who has recently moved or built a new home.
- Your installer cannot have had a safety infringement notice within the last 3 years. Choose your installer wisely.
- While we have a pretty good idea of what the scheme involves, we don’t know every single detail yet. Don’t be surprised if you’re applying for solar and something gets held up.
That’s just a few of the issues you’ll need to face to get on the rebate train! Read more from SolarQuotes here.
For more information and to find out if you’re eligible, read about the Solar Homes Package here.
Interested in advertising on Solar Trust Centre? Enquire here.